Thursday, October 29, 2009

dear diary. (jill are you appreciating my huge level of wank right here?)

this internet cafe in Amritstar took us about 45 minutes to find...i like to think through no fault of my own. (45 minutes doesn't include the fact that we've been looking for one for about 3 days.)

this country is absolutely insane. i've seen nothing like it and if i can't summon the courage to come back, i probably never will again. the people here function in extremes, out of necessity of course. i've never felt so baggered, harassased or flattered in my life. my need for personal space has just disappeared.

our coping strategy has been to retreat to drink beer any time it becomes too much, which usually occurs at approx 3PM each day. these small hands groping up at me for food or money or christ knows what is getting to me more than i thought. and i thought it would.

we tried to get a rickshaw driver back to our hotel this afternoon. we had a man cart us on his rickshaw 10 minutes in the wrong direction, drove in circles with a tuk tuk driver and then finally got a driver who expertly drove through the streets, incidently without hitting anyone. i think i would absolutely choke in this country, I would be the first tuk tuk man driving in circles, lost as fuck with a big, panicky smile on my face. Unlike wild whitford city i don't think india offers tax breaks for companies to employ the mildly retarded.

food has been amazing, the stingy side of me is just is heaven...$2.50 for dinner?! so far no issues but Megz has been pretty good at veto-ing what I am eating. She is a strict lady, no butter chicken for me yet (it exists here though, whoot!)

lots of love, namaste.

3 comments:

  1. This... sounds... amazing

    How many marriage proposals have you had? I wonder if it has EVER worked for the indians? It must have worked for someone, or why would they keep doing it?

    Stay safe! Don't drink from the Ganges

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, so great dude! cultural experience to the MAXIMUM (melting pot?!). Thank god megan is there to veto your food decisions, or you would probably be sitting on (standing over?) a squat toilet for the rest of your stay.
    EAT THE BUTTER CHICKEN! i want to know how it compares.
    Hope you are enjoying yourself and are not too stressed. Blog more please! I am talking about you like a lesbian to people, so enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear latham, why are you being such a lesbo? msg me this.

    creedz, genuine offers only stand at one. the best non-marriage offer I have had was, "heeeey....do you want to come into my shop and...chillllaax?"

    ReplyDelete